Tenspeed & Brownshoe

Monday, April 10, 2006

Here's One:

This past Saturday, I found mysef home in tome to catch some of Saturday Night Live.
Wow.
I knew it sucked these days, but it's time to pull the plug.
I know every generation says the show ain't what it used to be, and I used to hate to listen to old people go on and on about Chevy and Gilda and all that shit, when Eddie Murphy and Phil Hartman were good enough for me.
But oh my God, every joke, if you can call them that, just fell into an abyss of silence that was the studio audience.
I was so embarassed for them. I wanted to do something but I didn't know what.
Watching this show is like watching the kid in school who wants to be like the class clown but isn't funny get up in front of the class pull down his pants and fart.
Does the show have producers? Does anybody at NBC watch it? Is it just easier to keep it on the air than think of something to replace it?
Is NBC so gentrified that they can't be funny ?
In a town that is clogged with talented writers actors and comics there is no excuse for this level of unprecedented suckieness.
Most of them can get Saturday dinner shift covered.
Comedy Central's original programming puts SNL to shame with guys like Chapelle (Come back Dave!) Even the infantile Mind of Mencia is good for a guilty chuckle.
Oh yeah, and Weekend Update... it's over.
Jon Stewart has retired your ass for good.
And if you're reading this thinking, "Oh yeah Scott, I'd like to see you do better..."
I say, "Bring it."
Brownshoe treading water in a Sea of Mediocrity