Tenspeed & Brownshoe

Wednesday, May 10, 2006




















RELIGION AND THE INFINITE MADNESS

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm an Atheist. That doesn't mean that I'm unsure about the existence of God. It means that I don't believe in God at all.

No, I don't believe in the Adam & Eve story with the Pixar animated snake.

No, I don't believe that people used to live to be 1,000 years old.

And No, I don't believe that a little girl got pregnant by way of the Immaculate Conception.

But as much as I don't believe in all those stories, it's still just my belief. I can argue all day about the reality of the world but at the end of the day, nothing can be proven in its entirety until someone invents a time machine and gets a first-hand report.

And so conversely, and OBVIOUSLY, religion is just a set of beliefs. Silly beliefs but beliefs nonetheless.

That being said I've been reading all of the fervor regarding The Da Vinci Code and I've been steadily rolling my eyes until I read about Singapore's Board of Film Censors banning the film for people under the age of 16. Not because of sexual or violent content, however.

Nope.

Here's their explanation:


"Only a mature audience will be able to discern and differentiate between fact and fiction"

Uh...what?

Madness is always scariest when it is practiced by those who lead. With all the insanity going around this film I'm still not sure why no one has brought up the most important thing:

The Da Vinci Code is a work of fiction. It's not meant to be taken as fact. When you go to purchase the book, you'll find it in the fiction section. Or the .50 cent bin--seriously, that's where I got my copy. The Da Vinci Code is an entertaining work of fiction kind of like, oh, I don't know...the Bible (Anyone ever read the story of Noah's Ark? ). I mean, people weren't clamoring to ban Forrest Gump because they thought he really mooned Lyndon Johnson or busted the criminals at the Watergate Hotel. It's just a movie. Period.

Censorship is one of the most destructive forces in nature; that and any television show on NBC. Censorship only exists for one reason: To destroy a point of view. That's it. And that's what the Catholic Church wants to do.

So everybody, go see The DaVinci Code and enjoy it for what it is:

The movie where Tom Hanks has the stupidest hair ever.

--Tenspeed