Tenspeed & Brownshoe

Tuesday, October 03, 2006




GOD DAMN YOU RYAN MURPHY.

I really try my darndest for this site not to be one of those blogs that just reviews everything on television but I couldn't stop myself from writing this.

I'm a fan of Nip/Tuck.

At least, I was until last week's episode. Well...I haven't quite given up on the show yet (I mean hey, I stuck around after all that Carver crap) but last week had a plot device that has to be the most over used, cliche ridden, ill conceived ideas that I've had the displeasure of reading in a ton of really bad screenplays.

The Nurse on the show was picked up by some hot chick and woke up the next day...missing a kidney.

I almost threw something at my television set. I can't tell you how many scripts I've read that has had this similar plot device. It's ALWAYS some hot chick that picks up some guy, they have sex, he wakes up with some sort of note saying that his kidney has been taken, and then he looks at his side and there's a neat little scar where his piss bag used to be.

So here's a little note I'd like to post for all writers:

IF YOU HAVE A SCENE IN YOUR SCRIPT WHERE SOMEONE'S KIDNEY HAS BEEN STOLEN AFTER A NIGHT OF PASSION...TOSS IT.

It's silly, contrived, and absolutely UNshocking. Every single person who has ever read something with this plot device has rolled their eyes. It's bad.

Cut it out. You're better than that.

And if you're not...well...


--Tenspeed